Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Quotes of the Week (08-12SEP2008)

Yeah yeah, before you say anything, I KNOW that I missed this segment for last week. I'd make up a really important and serious sounding excuse, but since most of you who read this got comments from me throughout the week, you'll call my baloney what it is, so here's the big excuse: I'm LAZY! Anyways, here goes:

"WE throw open our city to the world, and never by alien acts exclude foreigners from any opportunity of learning or observing, although the eyes of an enemy may occasionally profit by our liberality...."
----Pericles ("Funeral Oration for the Fallen Athenian Warriors," in Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War)

"The gods are on the side of the stronger."
----Tacitus (Histories)

"There's scarce a thing but is both loved and loathed."
----Thomas Middleton (The Changeling 1622, act 1, sc. 1)

"The world is governed by opinion."
----Thomas Hobbes (Elements of Law, Ch. 1)

No comments: