Friday, October 24, 2008

The Triumphal Idiot Shines Through

So, as most of you know, I recently bought myself a next to new used car, after the other one crapped out on me 1 week before the final payment. Anyways, everything was great until the other day when I left to go to work. It was the first time I had encountered rain in my personal vehicle since we bought it. I flipped the little dial to set the speed on the windshield wipers....NOTHING!! Can you believe that...a week into having the car and the friggin wipers don't work!!! Well, that's just great. Fortunately, I could push the lever down for singular wipings away of the rain on the mist setting. The wipers even worked when I hit the button to clean the windshield off. But to just set the wiper speed and go....not happening.

So, this morning, I get up early to take my wife to work, followed by a trip to the service shop to have what appears to be a bad wire replaced. The youngest boy and I get there....int he pouring rain, mixed with freezing rain particles (you gotta love Iowa weather, the sun was out yesterday afternoon!)

I get into the shop and explain to their manager what the issue is, and he has a technician come and take a look. It turns out, within 30 seconds no less, that I am a dumb friggin idiot on a colossal scale. That little lever I push down to mist, that I told you about? Yeah, apparently it can also be pushed upward to a couple of speed settings. The little dial I was turning just sets the intermittent speeds ONCE THE WIPERS ARE ACTIVATED!!!

Yeah, so that was a waste of gas...thank God prices have come down on that stuff. So instead of the usual one trip to her work, and the trip home, I have now committed myself to 2 trips each way today, AND...AND, the inner idiot within me made a grand and triumphal appearance, to help grace you readers and the rest of my localized world with his presence. Now, I have to do something to redeem my manliness, in an effort to keep my Man-Card. It's raining out, so maybe I'll find a frog or toad and tear it limb from limb with juvenile male destructiveness.

I hate admitting faults of mine, but my level of personal honesty precludes me from hiding it for too very long. And now that I have also told my wife, she responded with hearty guffaws directed at my idiocy. I'm pretty sure the next time I try to assure her of just how awesome of a man I am, I'll be reminded of this rather quickly. Apparently she doesn't like it when I get a little too big for my britches!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO!!! THAT was waaaay too cute a story. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

I like your wife, and IF she doesn't occasionally knock you down a peg or two by reminding you of this, I promise to lend her a hand and do if for her...........ROFLMAO

Mookie said...

Gee...I dunno what to say...um, Thanks?

Anonymous said...

LOL

If you all ever get down to Phoenix, give me a holler!

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Thanks for sharing it despite the embarrassment.

I myself have had trouble with the little button that you have to push in some cars to take out the ignition key.

Mookie said...

First off, thanks for stopping by my blog RG! And secondly, thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one who was foiled by a simple device in a car!!! Although one of my best friends/boss is having a gay old time with it, and I have yet, and probably never will, hear the end of it!!!